Friday, June 27, 2014

New Neighbors Welcome Cookie

Stone and I have new next door neighbors.  Recently people are flocking in all around us.  Someone is building two lots down.  Directly across the street has been marked off to start building soon.  The most recent have children, so I thought I would bake something fun. Whats more fun than chocolate, sprinkles and M&M's?  As I was surfing the web I came across http://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/2013/07/25/triple-chocolate-cookie-cake-2/ .  As I examined her blog, I found so many recipes that caught my eye, but it was the Triple Chocolate Cookie Cake that I zeroed in on.  It was exactly what I had in mind.  As the moving van was out front, unloading their wares in the heat of the day, I was inside the cool confines of my home baking this mound of sweet chocolate.  I recollect the day we moved in.  My son Michael, had come in from college to help and was out mowing the lawn.  Actually the reason he volunteered was to let all the young females in the neighborhood know it was his home.  Kelly, a neighbor, stopped by, welcomed us to the area, and brought a cake stating "it was for Michael because he was the only one she had seen out working that day." Michael was very kind to share that lump of sweetness with Stone and I. As I recall, she purchased it from VG's Bakery: http://vgsbakery.com, and anyone who has ever consumed anything from VG's know's what a delight it is.

neighbors,chocolate buttercream,life love and sugar, msm's sprinkles,VG'S Bakery.


neighbors,chocolate buttercream,life love and sugar, msm's sprinkles,VG'S Bakery.


neighbors,chocolate buttercream,life love and sugar, msm's sprinkles,VG'S Bakery.


Triple Chocolate Cookie Cake

Yield: 1 (9") Cookie Cake

Ingredients for Cookie Cake:
3/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup M&M's
3/4 cup chocolate chunks, I used half dark chocolate chunks, and half semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Chocolate Buttercream Ingredients:
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
2-3 Tablespoons water

Cookie Cake Instructions:
Cream sugar and butter together until fluffy.
Mix in vanilla extract and egg. 
Add baking soda, cocoa, and flour and mix until combined.
Stir in M&M's, Chocolate chunks, and chocolate chips.  Dough will be sticky and thick.
Chill for at least 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 350' when ready to bake.
Place parchment paper in the bottom of your cake pan to keep cookie from sticking.  Grease the sides of the pan.
Smooth the dough into the cake pan.  Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes, then carefully transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. Recipe adapted from: http://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/2013/07/25/triple-chocolate-cookie-cake-2/

Chocolate Buttercream Instructions:
Beat the butter and shortening until smooth.
Add half of powdered sugar and cocoa.  Mix until combined.
Add 1-2 Tablespoons water.
Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.  Add water to get the right consistency.  Decorate the edge of cookie with the frosting and add sprinkles for fun.

What do you do when a new neighbor moves in next door?  Do you bake them something?

No comments:

Post a Comment