Sunday, June 29, 2014

Blueberry Cobbler Ice Cream

                                  
Blueberry Cobbler Ice Cream, Vanilla Ice Cream, Berries

Last Wednesday the Knoxville News Sentinel printed this recipe in their food section.  I knew the moment I saw it, I would have to go pick some berries.  I waited as long as the weekend and I couldn't stand it any longer.  It turned out exactly as I expected, heavenly!  I could have inhaled the entire bowl, but to keep from purchasing bigger cloths, I contained myself.  It wasn't easy.  We invited a neighbor but they had friends coming by instead.  The wife told her husband what I had made. She told me he was drooling as he said, "I'll have one to go!!"  I told her to have him meet me in the street for his to go container.  Her comment was, YOU DA BOMB!!  He's on his way!!  

Blueberry Cobbler Ice Cream

Blueberry Cobbler Ingredients:
1/2 cup plus 2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
pinch of kosher salt
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 stick (8 Tablespoons) butter, melted
1 recipe of Simple Vanilla Ice Cream (Recipe Below)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325'.  Spray a 9X6X2" loaf pan or other baking pan to keep from sticking.
Mix1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch in a small bowl.  Toss with berries to coat.  Add salt and lemon juice. Spoon into prepared pan.  Set aside.
In a bowl with a whisk, mix flour and remaining 2/3 cup sugar.  Drizzle with melted butter, stirring, to make a crumble topping.  Cover blueberry mixture with topping.
Bake until topping is golden brown, 45-50 minutes.
Let cool at room temperature, then refrigerate until cold, approximatly 1 hour.
Make your Simple Vanilla Ice Cream. 

Recipe adapted from: Knoxville News Sentinel, but they list their source as: Coolhaus Ice Cream Book.

Simple Vanilla Ice Cream

Vanilla Ice Cream Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/8 cup granulated sugar
3 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1-2 minutes.  Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Turm the machine on ; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, amnd let mix until thickened, about 20-25 minutes.   The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture.  If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Recipe from: http://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/desserts/95.html

When ice cream is made.  Break up cold blueberry cobbler and fold into ice cream.  I dump all the cobbler into a food processor and break it up into very small pieces so as it freezes it doesn't have large hard pieces.  Freeze for a least 2 hours before serving.

What kind of ice cream have you made this summer?



No comments:

Post a Comment