Friday, July 18, 2014

My Birthday Month Continues

Its day seventeen of my birthday month observance.  While thinking what will I do that was special today, my mind kept thinking, bike to Krispy Kreme and purchase a Birthday Cake Donut, a blend of Cream and Birthday Cake batter filling in a yeast shell and topped with yellow icing and bright confetti sprinkles.   I had my first on National Donut Day and have thought about this ever since.  Since I was going to be out biking, I decided to make my rounds.  First stop, the post office to mail some items.  Next up was returning two books to the library for Stone.   A friend, Carleen, recommended books by author David Baldacci, who knows how to keep readers turning the pages.   I then stopped at the market to purchase some carrots and Burrata Cheese for tonight's feast.  I made Fresh Tomato Soup.  My garden was overflowing with tomatoes and this recipe was in the newspaper yesterday. I thought I would give it a try.  Finally, the best part, the donut.  As I was peddling to Krispy Creme, I was contemplating, should I attack it right away, or delay until after dinner.  Back and forth, I couldn't decide.  I wanted it immediately, but I knew that after dinner when Stone was eating his, I would be thinking why didn't I wait.  I peddled to the drive-up window and ordered Stone's Raspberry Filled Donut and my Birthday Cake Donut, only to be told as of this past Monday, they no longer have Birthday Cake Donuts.  That got my feathers ruffled. Nooooo!  I said, "darlin', this is my birthday month and I had been thinking about this donut for days."   Not that it was his fault.  He apologized on behalf of Krispy Kreme and continued to tell me of the latest additions, the Banana Pudding and Carrot Cake Donut.  This isn't what I had in mind, but I had to make a decision.  The young man was so sweet, he said, "if I had the ingredients, I would make the one you have been thinking of."  In the end, I purchased the Carrot Cake Donut and waited until after dinner to have mine .  Even though it wasn't what I had been dreaming of, it was very good.

Birthday, Krispy Kreme
Krispy Kreme Carrot Cake Donut
Even though I could eat just a donut for dinner, that probably wouldn't go over very well with Stone, so with my juicy tomatoes from our garden I made Fresh Tomato Soup.

Tomato


FreshTomato Soup

Zuppa Di Pomodoro Fresco (Fresh Tomato Soup)

Serves 6-8

2 Tablespoons EVOO,with extra for garnish
1 small onion, finely diced
2 basil leaves
1 sprig thyme
3 pounds tomatoes, coarsely chopped
Salt and Pepper
Burrata Cheese, for garnish

In a small, heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 Tablespoons EVOO over medium heat.  Add the onion, carrot, basil and thyme.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, alone with three-fourths teaspoon salt and one fourth teaspoon pepper, or to taste.  Simmer for 20 minutes to break down the tomatoes and marry the flavors.  
Remove from heat and puree in a blender or food processor.  Serve the soup hot, with a small spoonful of Burrata and a drizzle of EVOO.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2014/jul/15/fresh-tomato-soup-is-delicious-and-easy/

Per serving: Calories 63; Protein 2g; Carbohydrates 7g; Fiber 2 g; Fat 4g; Saturated fat 1g; Cholesterol 0g; Sugar 5g; Sodium 229 mg.

Biking, Krispy Kreme
Biking for donuts and grocery's.


Butterfly
This caught my eye as I walked out of the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment