Saturday, August 13, 2016

French Coconut Pie

Coconuts are probably my favorite fruit.  I like them plain, toasted and in just about anything.  Actually I can't honestly say I like them plain.  Once Stone and I were in Mexico, sunning along the Riviera Maya when a young man approached with a fresh coconut that he had picked from a tree, drilled a hole and put a straw in it and gave it to me.  It was so pretty, I got all excited.  It had this little umbrella sticking out of it all fancy like.  I took a sip as he stood there waiting, wondering what I thought of his gift.  Hmmm, I didn't like it at all!  The young man was so sweet to give that to me that I couldn't tell him I thought it was just awful, so I pretended to really like it.  Slowly sipping until he was out of site.  

Recently I came across this recipe from a co-worker from many years ago and wondered why I haven't made this pie in so long.  Actually I've never made it for Stone.  With Kathy and Scott coming for dinner I decided it was time to make this quick, easy SUPERDELICIOUS pie.  Words cannot describe how good it was.   Served with a dollop of whipped cream, it was the perfect ending to our meal. 



 French Coconut Pie
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
3 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter melted
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 (2") vanilla bean (which is what I did)
 pinch of salt
1 (9") uncooked pie shell, homemade or frozen
Serve with a dollop of whipped cream (optional)
Direction:
1.  Preheat oven 350'.
2.  In a bowl mix beaten eggs with granulated sugar.
3.  Add melted butter,lemon juice, vanilla and salt.  Mix.
4.  Stir in coconut.
5.  Pour into unbaked pie shell.  Bake for 45 minutes-1 hour, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment