Monday, August 1, 2016

Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting

So many times I have bananas that begin to get a little ripe for eating.  You know the kind I'm talking about, slightly mushy but perfect for baking.  I hate to throw them away, so I just put them in the freezer, peel and all.  It's the best way to preserve them. The peel protects the bananas from freezer burn.  The peel will turn black in the freezer, don't let that fool you, the insides are perfect.  When you are ready to bake with them you just thaw in the refrigerator, cut the end off and squeeze out the banana.  

Finally the day comes when I open the freezer and think, I need to do something with the bananas. They are beginning to take over one of the shelves.  I grab a few and put them in the refrigerator to thaw as I look for a recipe.  More often than not I make Banana Bread, but since we were having Debbie and Glen over for dinner I decided to make a Banana Cake.  This isn't just any ole cake.   This is a very dense cake which I prefer.  So if you are like my husband and would choose a lighter fluffier cake, this is not for you.   The best part is it's loaded with toasted walnuts mashed into the cream cheese frosting on the side of the cake, yum.   Serve it with vanilla ice-cream, seriously oh yeah!!!

 Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting

Yield: 3 (8") round layers

Cake Ingredients: 
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups mashed banana's (the riper they are the sweeter).
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/8 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup whole buttermilk

Cake Frosting:
1 (8 ounce) Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
chopped walnuts

Cake Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 275.  I know this is weird, but that what the recipe says.  It does take a long time to bake at this temp.  
2.  Line 3 (8") round baking pans with parchment paper.  Then spray with baking spray.
3.  In a bowl, sift flour, salt and baking soda, set aside.
4.  In another bowl, add mashed banana's with lemon juice, set aside.
5.  In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
6.  One at a time, add eggs.  Then add vanilla.
7.  Beat in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
8.  Now add the banana mixture, stirring lightly.
9.  Scoop the batter into the prepared pans and bake in the oven that has been preheated for 1 1/2 hrs.       or until cake tester inserted and comes out clean.  I bake my cake on the third row.  
10.  Let cake cool completely, and frost.  
11.  Toast walnuts in a 350' oven for 5 minutes, let cool and place on sides of cake.
I store this cake in the refrigerator, it tastes really good cold, just sayin.
What I do is freeze cooled layers that I have wrapped individually in foil up to 2-3 weeks.  When ready to frost, do not thaw.  Frost cake while it is frozen and it will hold in the moisture.  I also like to frost the cake the day before you are going to serve it.  The flavors meld really well when it has set overnight in the fridge.  







No comments:

Post a Comment