Sunday, January 18, 2015

Dinner and Dancing

Dinner and dancing, what could be more fun!!!  So last year my New Year's resolution was to learn to dance.  2014 was coming to an end and I still didn't feel comfortable with my moves.  Then there I was at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge in Nashville, out on the dance floor.  Nobody told me I had to have two and a half vodka's with lime and lemon for my body to move.  Just think, all that time and thats all I needed.  There will be no stopping me now.   In fact, I feel so comfortable now with my motion, I don't need a vodka...  So thats what tonight was all about.  Carleen and Daniel came for dinner followed by dancing.  They just began taking Swing Dance lessons and were leading the way.  

Budapest Hungry., coconut cream pie, Fairfield Hospital, Fairfield Hospital Buttermilk Pie, Mexican Cornbread, East Coast Swing, Stabilized Whipped Cream, Tostitos with a Hint of Lime,
Originating in America in the 1940's was the East Coast Swing.  Carleen and Daniel seen doing the wrap-in wrap-out move.

Budapest Hungry., coconut cream pie, Fairfield Hospital, Fairfield Hospital Buttermilk Pie, Mexican Cornbread, East Coast Swing, Stabilized Whipped Cream, Tostitos with a Hint of Lime,
Carleen and Stone practice the wrap-in wrap-out move.

Ceviche
I've made Ceviche, recipe here: http://yallcomeoninthedoorsopen.blogspot.com/2014/12/stormy-christmas-eve.html several times now and I must say that I never tire of it.  Served with Tostitos and  Hint Of Lime Chips was the perfect accompaniment. 

Budapest Hungry., coconut cream pie, Fairfield Hospital, Fairfield Hospital Buttermilk Pie, Mexican Cornbread, East Coast Swing, Stabilized Whipped Cream, Tostitos with a Hint of Lime,
White Chicken Chili
This is Gina and Pat Neely's recipe that I made for the first time this past November, recipe here:   http://yallcomeoninthedoorsopen.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-family-arrives-let-celebration-begin.html when all the family came in for my son's wedding.  It's very flavorful and hearty.  You can eat it with some Tostitos with a Hint Of Lime Chips,  or as we do with some good ole Mexican Cornbread.

Budapest Hungry., coconut cream pie, Fairfield Hospital, Fairfield Hospital Buttermilk Pie, Mexican Cornbread, East Coast Swing, Stabilized Whipped Cream, Tostitos with a Hint of Lime,
Mexican Cornbread
 I've made this recipe http://yallcomeoninthedoorsopen.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-family-arrives-let-celebration-begin.html twice now.  While it is good, I had some course ground cornmeal that I thought I would try.  Even though it is still very good, I think I will go back to using my regular old cornmeal that is a very fine grain.   

This Coconut Cream Pie starts off being my mama's recipe that I have very fond memories of her making during my childhood.  But as time has gone by, I have changed it a bit by using whipped cream in place of meringue in and on top of the pie.  Also, I toast the coconut. Other than that it is all the same. 

 Budapest Hungry., coconut cream pie, Fairfield Hospital, Fairfield Hospital Buttermilk Pie, Mexican Cornbread, East Coast Swing, Stabilized Whipped Cream, Tostitos with a Hint of Lime,

 Budapest Hungry., coconut cream pie, Fairfield Hospital, Fairfield Hospital Buttermilk Pie, Mexican Cornbread, East Coast Swing, Stabilized Whipped Cream, Tostitos with a Hint of Lime,
Coconut Cream Pie
Ingredients:
1 (9" pie shell), baked
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup scalded milk
3 egg yolks
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 Tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) shredded coconut, plus 1/2 cup (4 ounces), toasted for on top of the whipping cream.
Directions:
1. To Pre-Bake Pie Shell, chill your pie shell in refrigerator for 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 450'.  Line Pie shell with circle of parchment or wax paper and fill it with pie weights spread to the edge and place more near the sides than in the center.  Set the pie shell on a baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes, then decrease heat to 375' and bake for 5 minutes more.  Remove pie shell from oven.  Remove parchment and pie weights out of the shell.  Poke the bottom of the pie shell in 3-4 places with the point of a sharp knife to prevent the shell from forming bubbles as it finishes baking.  Return shell to oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until it is golden brown.  Cool completely before filling.
2.  Heat oven to 300'.  Place 1 1/2 cups coconut on a baking sheet.  Toast coconut until lightly browned, bake 5 minutes, stir.  Then another five minutes, stir. One more time bake for 5 minutes.  It should look light brown.
3.  Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt in a microwave safe bowl.
4.  Add scalded milk and stir well.
5.  Cook in microwave 1 minute then whisk.  Then microwave another minute and stir.  Microwave another minute, whisk.
6.  Beat egg yolks well, stir in a little of the hot mixture and pour back into bowl.
7.  Cook in microwave for 1 minute.
8.  Remove and add vanilla and butter.
9. Let filling cool.
10.  Fold in 1 cup toasted coconut into cooled filling.
11.  Make stabilized whipped cream following directions below.
12.  Fold 1 cup of stabilized whipped cream into cooled pie filling.
13.  Pour into baked and cooled pie crust.
14.  Top with remaining stabilized whipping cream, sprinkle with toasted coconut.

Stabilized Whipped Cream:
You can make  this whipped topping ahead of time and it won't separate or go runny!  The vanilla pudding adds an extra richness to the flavor without being enough to know that its instant pudding.  You could use any flavor of instant pudding to change up the usual whipped cream flavors.
Ingredients:
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 Tablespoon Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix (dry)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar (or to taste)
Directions:
Put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Mix on low speed until ingredients are combined.
Mix on high speed until soft peaks form, scraping sides of bowl often. 
Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

So I couldn't decide what pie I wanted for tonight, so I made both.  You can never have too many pies, right?  I was sixteen when I started working at Fairfield Hospital.  One day I went to lunch and one of the sweet ladies that was the cook had made this fabulous sweet treat.  I asked for the recipe and this has been a family favorite ever since.  My son ,while in college, worked at a summer camp in West Virginia and was competing in a baking challenge. He won using this recipe.

Budapest Hungry., coconut cream pie, Fairfield Hospital, Fairfield Hospital Buttermilk Pie, Mexican Cornbread, East Coast Swing, Stabilized Whipped Cream, Tostitos with a Hint of Lime,
The top gets all brown and crackly while the inside is this rich, buttery goodness that you can't stop with just one bite.  And why would anyone want to.  Hey, I ran this morning!!!

Budapest Hungry., coconut cream pie, Fairfield Hospital, Fairfield Hospital Buttermilk Pie, Mexican Cornbread, East Coast Swing, Stabilized Whipped Cream, Tostitos with a Hint of Lime,
Fairfield Hospital Buttermilk Pie
Ingredients:
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
1/4 cup flour
1 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
Preheat Oven 350'.
Melt butter in microwave.
In a mixing bowl add flour sugar salt and stir together.  Next add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter.  Mix together.
Pour into pie shell and bake for 30-40 minutes or until set.  If not set make a tent using foil so it doesn't brown to much, not letting the foil touch the pie.  It will peel the top layer off if you do.  Doesn't change the taste just the look.
Let cool, can serve with whipped cream if you like.  If you like? Of course I like!!!

Budapest Hungry., coconut cream pie, Fairfield Hospital, Fairfield Hospital Buttermilk Pie, Mexican Cornbread, East Coast Swing, Stabilized Whipped Cream, Tostitos with a Hint of Lime,
I just love this tablecloth.  Stone and I were in Budapest, Hungry this summer and when I saw it, I just had to have it.  It is very colorful and covered in embroidered flowers.





No comments:

Post a Comment