I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by making a Cottage Pie in honor of John Fletcher, who was one my of descendents from Ireland. He was my 5th Great Grandfather from my mama's side of the family. I bet my ancestor had Shepherd's Pie which uses lamb instead of beef. Stone and I are more beef eaters although we occasionally enjoy lamb.
Beef or Lamb
Potato Layer Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
4 Tablespoons Land O Lakes Unsalted Butter
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup half and half
2 cup (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Potato Layer Instructions:
1. Peel potatoes and cut into small chunks. Place potatoes into a large pot of water. Boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Drain water from pot and mash the potatoes. Add half and half, butter, garlic powder and pepper. Add 1 cup cheese, save the remaining cup of cheese to put on top of assembled dish. Continue to mash until there are no lumps remaining. Cover the potatoes and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375'. Grease a 9X13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
2 pounds of ground beef, if you are making a Cottage Pie, or If you are making a Shepherd's Pie you would add 2 pounds of ground lamb instead.
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 Tablespoons flour
4 Tablespoons flour
4 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
1/2 cup frozen corn
Meat Layer Instructions:
1. Using a 12" skillet, over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook and crumble meat until browned. Drain grease.
2. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture. Stir and cook for 1 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, broth, Worcestershire Sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in frozen peas, corn and carrots. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
3. Pour meat mixture into prepared pan. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the top then top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
4. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes until casserole is hot and bubbly.
5. Let stand 5-10 minutes prior to serving.
Pairs well with Merlot