Friday, April 18, 2014

Pet Owners Independence Day


Pet Owners Independence Day
Hello,
My name is Lucy. Wait, are you laughing?  I know you are.  It's ok, the sight of me just makes you cheerful.  I have that effect on a lot of people.
Spring has finally arrived and I am delighted.   Time to get out of my p.j.'s and winter coat.  I have to wear clothing during the cold months because I have no fur.  Time to go all-natural and eliminate my farmers tan.
Anyway, today my parents are celebrating Pet Owners Independence Day.  If you are not familiar with this bizarre and unique holiday, it's when you switch places with your pet for the day.  My parents have spent the day napping and eating, which is what I usually do.  If you knew my dad's job, you wouldn't want to switch with him.  My mom stays home and cooks a lot, so I chose to switch places with her.  I decided to bake my friends some Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits for Easter.  Shhhh, don't tell them it's a surprise.  The house smells so good with the aroma from my baking.  My dad just woke up and said that these biscuits sure smell good.  I told him these are not for people.  Now they know how I feel.  Anyway I just tasted one.  I hope my friends enjoy them as much as I do, but then, whats not to like, peanut butter, honey, oats, ect….
Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
Yield: 13 biscuits
I have this set of cookie cutters www.wilton.com and used the bone.

Ingredients:
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 large egg
1/4 cup honey
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water

Optional:
4 squares white almond bark
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
sprinkles

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350' Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
In a stand mixer, combine all ingredients (peanut butter, egg, honey, oats, flour, oil and water), beating until a stiff dough forms.
Pat out dough into a rectangle, about 1 inch in depth.  Using a bone shaped cookie cutter, cut into bones.  Use all dough.
Bake for 30 minutes, flipping half way through.  Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
To Dip/Decorate:
Melt almond bark and oil in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds.  Once melted/smooth, dip half of bone into almond bark and lay on parchment paper.  Decorate with sprinkles or chopped peanuts and let cool completely.
Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Has your pet baked any treats lately?
Comment, let me know what you have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment