Sunday, January 15, 2017

Quadruple Berry and Dark Sweet Cherry Pie

Recently Stone and I met friends out for dinner at The Chop House here in Knoxville. Through out the years I have dined at The Chop House but have never ordered dessert.  This particular evening I decided to bring an end to my meal by consuming this heavenly sweet concoction called Caramel Cookie Crunch that consisted of a caramel crunch cookie freshly made in-house, ice cream, chocolate, caramel and white chocolate.  Everything, and I mean everything, about that dessert was just what I love.  I devoured this all by myself even though I share entrees with Stone. Desserts are all mine. This Caramel Cookie Crunch might be the best dessert I have ever eaten!

The following night we joined some other friends out for Mexican Food.  Seeing it was in another town, I invited Stone and I over to their house following our meal.  Hey, you can do that when they are good friends, plus I showed up with a pie and cards.  My initial thought was to make a Brownie Mint Pie, but I kept thinking about the Caramel Cookie Crunch that I had had the previous evening and I knew that I could not make anything that would compare.  It couldn't be anything that had chocolate in it.   It couldn't have any of the above ingredients and it had to be completely opposite.  I decided on a fruit pie.  So after much contemplation I came up with this Quadruple Berry and Dark Sweet Cherry Pie.  This pie is not only scrumptious, it is so quick and easy to make, using the bags of frozen fruit from Private Selection.  You do not thaw prior to assembling and baking the pie.  It's really, really yummy, plus its good for breakfast.  All that fruit, that makes it healthy doesn't it?

Quadruple Berry and Dark Sweet Cherry Pie

Serves: 8-10
Ingredients:
1 (2) layer pie crust, homemade or store bought.
1 (16 ounce) package frozen Private Selection Cherry Berry Medley
1 (16 ounce) package frozen Private Selection Triple Berry Medley
2 cups granulated sugar
4 Tablespoons lemon juice
milk or cream for bushing top of pie
Wilton's White Sparkling Sugar, I love adding this to the tops of my pies's.  It adds a sweet crunch .

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 425'.
2.  Roll out 1 layer of pie crust and fit into a deep pie dish.  
3.  In a large bowl place frozen Cherry Berry medley, Triple Berry Medley, granulated sugar, tapioca flour and lemon juice. Stir to coat fruit.
4.  Empty fruit mixture into pie shell.
5.  Roll out remaining pie dough and place on top of berry mixture.  Crimp edges of pie shell.
6.  Brush top of pie with milk or cream and sprinkle with Wilton's Sparkling Sugar.  Cut slits in crust so it can breath, trust me you want to do this!
7.  Bake in 425' oven on lowest rack for 20 minutes.
8.  Reduce temp to 400' and move pie up one rack and continue baking until golden brown about 1 hour.
9.  Needs to cool and set before serving.  Or if you do not mind it being runny, eat it warm.  Either way is REALLY YUMMY.  Serve with whip cream or ice cream or eat plain.


No comments:

Post a Comment